New for 2019 - Poetry Competition
As part of our 20th Anniversary celebration in 2019, we want to bring poetry out of the shadows and into a more visible role, the Frances Folk Gathering is calling all poets. The collected poems will be published in an Anthology, which will be launched at the Frances Folk Gathering, during the weekend 24-25th February, 2019.
The launch of the Anthology will be a feature event. There will be further opportunities for poets to present their work and to participate in workshops.
The Anthology is an initiative of the Frances Folk Gathering, supported by Friendly Street Poets (www.friendlystreetpoets.org.au ).
Entries will be judged, and awards will be made:
- First Prize: $100
- Second: $75
- 3rd – 6th: $50 each
These poems will be read at the launch, by their authors if possible, or by local poets.
What kind of poetry?
Poetry which will entertain a Frances audience, when presented orally from the stage. The Gathering is a folk music event, but this does not limit the poetry for the Anthology. It would be best if Frances carves out its own niche, covering a range of subjects and genres. In particular:
- As the poetry is to be provided in written form in the Anthology, and may also be presented from the stage, it needs to be able to work in both forms.
- There is no limit to the range of poetic styles;
- When presented orally, It must be able to be understood with just one reading;
- It can have deep emotion, but should not be miserable;
- Humour, including satire and irony, would be well received;
- Presentation should ideally take 2-3 minutes per poem.
The Frances Audience
- People who enjoy playing, singing and listening to folk music.
- People out for a relaxing and enjoyable weekend.
- Grey nomads – Frances is a “must visit” for many.
- Age profile – young adult through to old.
- Poetry is an accepted and appreciated part of the Frances Folk Gathering.