NOTE: This archived newsletter may refer to events, links etc that have since been updated and may no longer be valid. Please read this article as a historical record rather than a source of current information.
NEWSLETTER 4 - Date August 24th 2008
‘The Gathering that you’re in and not just at’
FolkWIZZ and 10th Birthday coming up!
Here’s the latest on Frances Gathering… yes, it is our first newsletter since the last Gathering but fear not… we have been busy. Well, first, a look back… A year ago our new Coordinating Group said this in the newsletter:
“…the one strong message we hear from everyone is just what we’d expect - “Keep Frances the same”. We will do our very best! We have every intention to keep the Frances flame alight - to keep the friendliness and the mix and the quality. In the end it’s what we all make it that matters”.
So how did we do in '08? If all the invaluable feedback we got (thanks everyone – we reviewed every message and questionnaire we received) is anything to go by it was a BIG thumbs-up. Keep Frances the same we will – you betcha! All you have to do is keep on coming, keep spreading the word and chip in with your contribution.
Of course there were some gripes and plenty of suggestions that we’ve taken on board so hopefully things will be even better for the very special 10 birthday Gathering. Keep your suggestions coming and, as ever, think about how you can help. We need all sorts of people for all sorts of jobs. Some work is all-year-round, some short-term, and there are dozens of things to do over the weekend itself.
So here are some key dates:
- 2009: Friday 20th February – Sunday 22nd February - 10th Birthday Frances Folk Gathering
- September 6th 2008 (if you’re in Adelaide) – FolkWIZZ!!! A cracking good fundraiser for the FFG at the Folk Centre. This night will be a definite ‘first ‘ and we hope the first of many ‘FolkWIZZes’. There’s genius and deviousness galore in the night‘s planning. Not to be missed – come and join the frivolity and capers with special guests Chris Finnen, Garida and yourselves! More info and a downloadable flyer at the website…
- November 1st 2008 - Entries open on-line for the competitions.
And there’s some more FANTASTIC NEWS!!! Have you seen the new website???
Here’s where you go: http://francesfolkgathering.com.au
Thanks to all who’ve contributed suggestions for improving the site and special thanks to Tony Schick who’s taken on this huge task and generated a great result. Also, all you photographers, thanks for your patience. Check the website out and keep an eye on it for ongoing developments – especially competitions and workshop pages for those who want to compete/present.
Frances remains FREE!
This happens in two ways. First, there are what amounts to thousands of volunteer hours. What shape does your contribution take? Second, we have to raise money – in three general ways – our own fundraisers (like FolkWIZZ), getting grants (an increasingly difficult and competitive business), and seeking sponsorship. Please think about what you can do – on the weekend, or during the year - and get in touch through our volunteers page on the website.
Spreading the word.
Please do all you can to spread the word about Frances – we continue to work hard to engage ‘FutureFolk’ – beginners and emerging talent - as well as provide a great atmosphere for those who know the ropes. Forward this newsletter to friends and be assured of this promise - in using email (in correspondence or for the newsletter) we will always respect privacy and will not make your details available to anyone.
2009 Birthday programme and projects
Of course we’ll have the usual smorgasbord of staple fare at the Gathering – yes we’ll look after the blackboards, open concerts and (we hope to have) more space for sessions for all the participants, there’ll be workshops and competitions and great FutureFolk action, and poetry and dance (what a ripper the bush dance was this year – never seen one with a 36-piece orchestra before!) and a couple of invited guests to inspire us, and more too…We’ve a couple of projects afoot to capture the spirit of Frances in different ways, so:
- Do you, or anyone you know, have any sound or video recordings of the Gatherings over the years? We’ve had a couple of amazing finds on video and we’re considering Frances CD/DVD commemorative projects. We’ll need skilled help as well as possible special funding for this so please put your thinking hats on.
- We’re also hoping to assemble a book of poetry so any submissions will be gratefully received
- The question has been asked by one young man “Is there a Tour de Frances"? Well we sure do want to have one for the 10th Birthday so all suggestions welcome please – kneeless to say it has to be fun, frolicsome, involve locals and folkies alike, safe, silly, etc etc
- Have you any other birthday party suggestions suitable for the tenth Gathering? We can’t fit too much into what’s already a pretty packed programme but let us know your ideas.
- Finally, can you think of people who’ve been to Frances in the past who we should invite to the Tenth Birthday Bash? If so, please get in touch with them yourself or let us know if you think we should send a special invitation.
All suggestions for any of the above please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheers one and all – keep well and we’re looking forward to seeing you there!
on behalf of the Frances Folk Gathering Coordinating Group.